Having friends over for lunch this week-end, it’s been a while! I love having people over at ours and I usually really enjoy looking up recipes over the week ahead of the gathering. This week though, I was really busy with work and did not really have time for anything. And then on Friday I went out for drinks with my team … and what was going to be a glass of time ended up in a much longer night out and I only got tobed around 3am. So Saturday morning I did not really feel up to cooking, and needed a bit of extra time for getting ready really! This recipe was perfect for this situation! Once you are done cutting the veg, you just need to leave them in the oven until they (and you) are ready.
I did just that: cut everything up with some help from the hubby – took me 10 mn – and then jumped in the shower while it was all cooking. And was ready when guests arrived, nursing only a slight hangover 🙂
What do you need? (4): 2 medium sweet potatoes – 3 carrots – 2 beetroots – 2 parnsnips – 2 turnips – 1 large onion – 2 tbsp maple syrup – 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar – 3 tbsp olive oil – 1 tsp nutmeg – 1 tsp thyme.
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Cut all the veg in chunks of similar size and place them all in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and thyme.
- Pour this glase on the vegetables and toss them together so they are evenly coated.
- Oil an oven dish, pour the veg into it and arrange them evenly over the bottom of the dish.
- Bake for about 60-80 minutes or until all the veg are nice and soft. Beetroot seemed to be the ones that took the most time, so if your beetroots are cooked, the rest should be too
Enjoy with a nice roast for example!