So… How did you dress up for Halloween?? This year I finally realised that here, Halloween in about dressing up. Not looking scary – which is how we do it in France. Actually in the UK Halloween looks more like an excuse to wear your kinkiest outfit. Lots of sexy nurses, sexy policewomen, sexy whatever. So I decided to look innocent for a change and dressed up as Little Red Riding Hood. Not zombie or sexy version. Just Little Red Riding Hood.
And of course to make the costume complete, you need a basket full of biscuits and a jar of butter.
What do you need (24 cookies)? 2/3 cup coconut oil – 1/2 cup caster sugar – 1/2 cup dark brown sugar – 2 tbsp water – 1 2/3 cup self raising flour – pinch of salt – 2 tbsp dried shredded coconut – 1 tsp vanilla extract.
You can substitute the coconut oil for vegan butter/margarine – as is the case in the original recipe – but you will lose the smell and taste of coconut.
How to make them?
1. Preheat your oven at 200C.
2. Make sure your coconut oil is neither too hard or liquid but more like a Vaseline-like consistency, otherwise it will not cream. Cream to coconut oil and sugar together.
2. Add all the other ingredients and mix until you obtain an homogeneous dough. The dough should be quite thick but not sticky. If needed add a tbsp or two of water to the mix, until the dough is just clinging.
3. Spoon 1/2 tbsp from the dough ball at each time and roll it into a small ball, then flatten it on the cookie pan. The cookies should be no more than 4-5 mm thick. The dough should be thick enough that it does not spread out.
4. Lower the oven temperature down to 180C. Put your cookies to bake in the oven for 10-12 mn – until the edges are just browning. If you are not quite there after 10 mn, keep and check every 2 mn.
5. Take the cookies out of the oven when they are ready and leave them to cool before taking them off the rack.
6. Store in an airtight container – I don’t know how long they would last as my batch dos not survive more than a couple of days, but as these cookies are vegan it should be pretty long!