We hosted our first barbecue at home last week-end. We had such a lovely time, and in was great to finally enjoy the garden! Summer is a month late, but it is there!
I love cooking and hosting but it can be a bit frustrating to go back and forth between the table and the kitchen while having people over. I always end up missing the end of a good joke because I am checking on whatever is in the oven at that time.
This is why I love barbecues: the man gets to do the cooking while I can sip my drink in the shade! I did my fair share this time though and prepared a few salads, drinks and desserts. But it was all ready in advance and did not take on my party time.
The essential barbecue desserts for me? A fruit salad, fresh and healthy, and a good cake.
This time I made a fruit salad in a watermelon with pineapple, strawberries (and of course watermelon). And the cake was a decadent dark chocolate fudgey brownie with a hint of bitter almond.
Ingredients (makes about 15 brownies)
120 g dessert chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids), broken in pieces
250 g sugar
80 g sunflower oil
2 drops bitter almond essence
200 g white flour
1 tsp salt
1. Weigh the chocolate in the Thermomix. Melt 6 minutes, speed 1, at 37 degrees or longer until melted.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix for 20 seconds at speed 4 until you have a smooth cake batter (a bit sticky).
3. Pour out into a small brownie tin (mine was 20 x 20 cm) lined with parchment paper. Use the spatula to push the batter into the corners and smooth the top.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 160 degrees. Take the brownies out just before they are cooked in the centre… better to have them slightly under baked than overcooked as they would become quite dry.
5. Cut into square while still warm and allow to cool before serving.