Are you familiar with Danette? It is a French milk based pudding made by Danone and it is so popular in France that I bet you can find it in every French family’s fridge. And I dare you to find anyone that cannot sing their slogan “On se leve tous pour Danette” (Everybody rises for Danette). Click on the link to find an ad that dates back to the 80’s for a bit of history!
When I was a kid, I think there were 2 flavours only, vanilla and chocolate, and I already had a hard time choosing. Now if you go to a French supermarket, you will find between 15 and 20 different flavours. No way I could make a choice there ever!
I don’t run that risk here as I haven’t found any Danette on the shelves yet… nevermind, I thought I’d just make some myself. And because I still could not decide whether I wanted to have chocolate or vanilla, and was feeling playful, I just made a “2 in 1 Danette”. I have to say the vanilla custard was the best, the chocolate was a bit overcooked and thus too thick..such a shame, I will have to try again to make it perfect 😉
The Thermomix helped a lot here I must say… avoiding me 15 mn of stirring. And the recipe is closely adapted from the recipe book. Just using 1 less egg, less sugar and real chocolate instead of cocoa.
500 ml milk
2 vanilla pods
1 large egg
40 g sugar
2 tbsp flour
20 g dark dessert chocolate
1. Slice the vanilla pods in 2 and take out the seeds.You can either use only the seeds or add the pods in at step 3 and remove when the custard is ready,for a stronger vanilla taste. Use then the Reverse function of your Thermomix so that the pods stay whole.
2. Mix all the ingredients except the chocolate 10 seconds/Speed 5,or energetically with a whisk.
3. Cook 10 minutes/90 degrees/Speed 3.When you dip a spoon into the mix,it should come out coated with a thin layer of custard.
4. Mix a few seconds Speed 6 to homogenise.Then pour half the mixture into 4 glasses.
5. Melt the chocolate in the microwave with a teaspoon of milk at low heat.
6. Add the melted chocolate to the mix and mix 20 seconds/Speed 6.
7. Pour or spoon the chocolate custard gently over the vanilla one. Cool to room temperature and then chill in the fridge for a few hours.