Been sweating over the stove for hours to prepare a nice dinner to your guests and just don’t feel like spending any more time in the kitchen? A pie or cake might be too rich after all the delicious things you’ve been stuffing them with? Or simply looking for a healthy but gourmet dessert?! Then don’t go any further, I may have exactly what you need! And you’d even be using seasonal fruits!
So : Strawberry-rhubarb compote, what else? OK..this does not sound as good as when George says it, it might not even be as good as having a bite of George I must admit … but try it! You won’t be disappointed!
600 g rhubarb
120 g strawberries
Fresh ginger (a cube of 4*4 cm)
80 g caster sugar
6 tbsp thick cream
A handful of unsalted grilled pistachios
1. Peel the rhubarb and cut it in cubes. Wash the strawberries and cut them in halves. Peel the ginger and grate it.
2. Put the rhubarb cubes in a sauce pan, add the sugar and stir.
3. Cook over medium heat for 5 mn, then add the strawberries and ginger.
4. Cook for 10 more minutes, with the lid on.
5. Coarsly crush the pistachios
5. Serve hot or cold with a spoon of cream on top and sprinkled with pistachios.
This makes a delicious dessert, but is also really good for breakfast with some granola or muesli for example.
If you are not too much into ginger, or if you are afraid it might make you jump on anything that moves, including George, you can replace it with a sprinkle of fresh grounded pepper.