I must admit I got a little sick of desserts these days and tonight I gut craved a good savory dish… so here is a little experiment made with what I had in the pantry. Among other things, I always have risotto rice, it is the perfect way to make a delicious dish with next to nothing!
So ok, not everyone has asparagus at hand when it comes to preparing a last minute dinner..and let me reassure you, I don’t either, but we all got lucky today!
By the way, what is your favorite risotto? Milanese, mushrooms, seafood…?
1 bunch of green asparagus
150 g arborio rice
10 cl white wine
10 g butter
A handful of pine nuts
2 tbsp nut oil
1L vegetable or chicken stock
100 g parmesan
1. Cut both ends of the asparagus. Keep the heads on the side for later use and discard the other end. Peel the skin off the on about 5cm. Cut into 1 cm sections and keep for later use.
2. Keep the stock on low fire at all times so that it stays hot, but not boiling.
3. Cut the onion in cubes and let it brown for two minutes in the butter in a frying pan with high sides, on medium fire until it looks transparent and slightly yellow.
4. Add the rice in the pan and stir until the rice grains become transparent. Add the white wine.
5. Once the wine is evaporated, add the asparagus and cover with stock. The stock has to just cover the rice mix, but not “drown” it. Don’t cover the pan and keep the fire low. Keep adding stock in order to keep the rice mix moist.
6. In the mean time, set asparagus heads and pine nuts to fry in 2 tablespoons nut oil in a pan until the pine nuts become golden brown.
7. Once all stock is almost evaporate, grate the parmesan in the mix nd stir slowly. Then progressively add 3/4 of the pine nuts.
8. Serve in individual plates and top with asparagus heads, sprinkle with a few pine nuts and add a drizzle of nut oil.